Your Inactive CA Number Can Cause You Trouble

Your Inactive CA Number Can Cause You Trouble

As always, it’s a pleasure for me being able to write in this prestigious magazine, providing all the information you need to be a safe driver.

In this edition I want to tell you about a problem that I have been seeing lately, where The California Highway Patrol (CHP) affected several Owner Operators with excessive charges.

CHP requires that every person who operates their own vehicle for commercial purposes must obtain a CA number, and enter it on a database for later inspections.

When you apply for a CA number, the CHP issues one to you and mails the copy to your address, along with an application for BIT fees and a later date for inspections.

The problem is what happens when you obtain a CA number but never use it for work, because you got leased to a company right after you got your CA number and just ignored it.

Let’s say you work under somebody else’s permit for more than 3 years, and now you want to work under your own permits because it means more profit for you. In this case, you will apply for a Motor Carrier Permit, but it will be denied because you owe BIT fees to the CHP. Because of this, you will not be able to operate under your own name until you fix it.

Then when you call the CHP they will tell you that you owe more than $2,000 in fees and penalties. You must pay this money or they will not give you a permit in your name.

If you have a CA number but you work under somebody else’s permit, you must send a letter to the CHP stating your CA number and ask them to suspend or take you off the database because you are being inspected under a different number. You must then give them the CA number of the company you work for or lease to. This way, you will not owe any money when you need it again.

Remember, if you have a CA number issued by the California Highway Patrol and you are using it but it is not painted on your door, send a letter to CHP asking them to dismiss it.

Remember, if you have any kind of inspection or interventions from the CHP or the USDOT, don’t go to your inspection until you check with me first. I will make sure that your safety system is adequate and that you ought to pass the audit. You can reach me at (909) 390-3556.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *