Who needs to register?

Vehicles over 26,000 pounds or that have 3 or more axles on the power unit and cross state lines need to be registered with the IRP International Registration Plan, also known as Apportioned Plates and Prorate Account and IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement).

How to setup my IRP and IFTA accounts?

IRP and IFTA applications can be very confusing if you have never completed one before so it is recommended that you contact an Interstate Authority to help you out.

How does the process work if the IRP and IFTA setup are handled by a Interstate Authority?

They will determine which documents you are required to submit with your application. Usually these documents include a copy of insurance, a copy of your title, and a proof of residence in the state, that can be proven by presenting a phone bill or utility bill, but depending on the type of vehicle they may also require other documents.

How long does the process take?

In normal circumstances the state takes from 3 to 5 days to workup the invoice for your Apportioned Plates and another 3 to 5 days to send out your IFTA decals and license. Once the invoice is issued to your account your plates are ready, so you can either pay the registration invoice at your state IRP department and pick up your plates, or by mail in a cashiers check or money order. Once you do so you will receive the plates at your home by mail.

How much does it cost?

Depending on your base state, gross vehicle weight, and states you wish to register, the fee will vary. But to give you an idea here is an approximate example: The state fees for an 80,000 pound vehicle running all 48 lower states is between $1500 and $2000, but as we said, the total amount depends on many factors.

What happens when you buy diesel in another state?

If you buy most of your fuel outside of the state ofCalifornia, then you must keep a thorough record so you can do a report on your miles and gallons. This information is needed to determine where you bought the diesel and where the diesel was used. For example, if you buy all your fuel in Arizona but you use it in California, you have to reimburse to the state of California for the tax on diesel purchased outside of the state. If, however, diesel is purchased in California but usedin Arizona, then California will refund you the taxes you paid for the diesel, because you did not use the bridges and roads here. Myadviceis to buy as much diesel as you can in California and keep your receipts well.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *