The radiator is one of the most important parts of the truck, as it is responsible for preventing the engine from overheating. When the mud and oxide accumulate in the radiator, it will lose effectiveness and performance. Changing the coolant – antifreeze and cleaning the radiator frequently will improve your radiator cooling, protecting it from the extreme heat generated by the engine and keeping it at the right temperature.
- Before an inspection,make sure your radiator is cold: The motor has to cool down for at least two hours. This step is crucial because an engine coolant that has been recently used may be very hot and can even cause injuries if the fluid comes into contact with the skin.
- Liftthe radiator hood in front: Clean the metal plates in front, which allow the air to move through them. Soap with a brush to remove all the dead bugs and debris from the radiator.
- Place the pan under the radiator, right where the drain valve is: Drain the radiator by pulling the escape key. Make sure you’re wearing gloves so that the refrigerant does not cause damage to your skin.
- Inspect hoses and parts containing the radiator and check that they work properly: The radiator cap keeps it pressurized. This cover consists of a coil spring extending between a metal cap and a rubber stamp. The tension between the seal and the spring allows the radiator to maintain adequate pressure. If this piece starts to malfunction, replace it immediately with a new one. There are two hoses coming out of the radiator, pullingthe hot refrigerant out and sending the cold refrigerant in continuously. Check if they show any signs of damage.
- Rinse after emptying the radiator coolant: You can use water with a hose to make sure there is no refrigerant waste.
- Adding new coolant:For best results, an ideal mixture for your radiator coolant must consist of 50% water and 50% antifreeze.
- How to make sure you have enough coolant: Once you’ve addedthe antifreeze, don´t cover the radiator. First start the engine and let the coolant go throughout the engine. Only then add morecoolant to the container reserves up to the indicator level and close the radiator.
By following these tips you will be ready to pick up another load in this summer.