IRS Attachment Order to Your Bank Account

IRS Attachment Order to Your Bank Account

During the last few years I have dedicated myself as a trucker to work hard but when I take a day or two off, something that I don’t want to do is to check my mail and even less if there is something from the IRS. One day, when I wanted to use my bank debit card to pay for the diesel, the card was rejected. Immediately I called the bank to ask for an explanation, to which the bank informed me that I had no funds available, as the IRS ordered them to retain all my funds and as long as I did not talk to the IRS and reached an agreement I could not use my money.

An IRS bank attachment is typically used against you to confiscate your bank funds. The bank retains your funds for a period of 21 days, before these funds are sent to the IRS [I.R.C. § 6332(c)]. The reason for the 21 days is simple. The IRS expects you to call and make an agreement to pay off the total debt, apply for a payment plan, or in case that there is an error, you can discuss and prove that they are wrong. Remember that if there are no agreements with the IRS during the first 21 days, the IRS will take your funds.

Any amount you deposit after the deadline the bank will not be able to retain it and you could lose it, but this does not mean the IRS cannot issue another attachment order in case you have not reached an agreement with them. They may even take more drastic measures and send an attachment order to your employer or start to confiscate your properties, such as your home, cars, or other personal property.

The IRS takes the collection process very seriously. The longer you ignore your tax debt, the more pressure and the more aggressive the IRS will be.

What happens if they issue an attachment order for my salary? The wage garnishment is usually a little more complicated as generally the employer will act disproportionately to enforce the IRS order and will begin to retain your salaries as soon as they receive the garnishment notice. When this situation arises you should call the IRS, but if this is difficult for you, then seek for professional help.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *