The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has launched a campaign encouraging the general public to share the road with CMVs. The goal of the Our Roads, Our Responsibility campaign is to raise awareness regarding how passenger vehicles should interact with larger commercial vehicles on the road. There are almost 12 million commercial vehicles registered in the U.S. who have to share the road with other drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians while commuting as many as 300 billion miles. Considering their immense size and weight difference, these trucks have limited mobility. With larger blind spots and long stopping distances, the FMCSA recommends you remember these helpful tips when you are on the road with CMVs:
- Keep clear of the blind spots (or “no zones”) around the front, back, and sides of the vehicle.
- Make certain you have a clear view of the driver in your mirror before safely passing.
- Never cut it too close when switching lanes in front of a CMV.
- Keep in mind larger vehicles may require extra room to turn; anticipate when these turns are coming.
- Avoid distractions and always pay attention to your surroundings on the road.
- Exert patience when driving around large trucks and buses.
Further information is on the campaign’s official website: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ourroads