Many truck drivers suffer from neck pain very .
– Sitting all day with a bad posture and muscular tension while driving collaborates to develop neck pain.
– Collisions provoke unexpected movements in the head and neck can cause injuries by stretching the soft tissues of the neck beyond its usual limits.
– Over the years the intervertebral discs dry, becoming rigid, and generating pressure on the nerves. Discs can herniate, causing pain in the cervical .
– As time goes by, the neck joints wear out and this can cause cervical osteoarthritis, causing neck hardening and pain
We will explain some self-care that can help you. cautious, if the pain is very strong and you cannot touch your chest with chin, you should visit your doctor immediately.
– Take advantage of your break time during your day to lie in the truck cab, giving some rest to your neck.
– Do stretching exercises gently, moving the neck from one side to the other and holding in each side position for around 30 seconds.
– Take painkillers such as ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Naproxen (Aleve) moderately.
– Alternate cold with heat. The cold will help to reduce inflammation. Put ice several times per day on your neck for 20 minutes. The heat will help to decrease the pain; you can apply heat with a hot shower or a heating thermal pad.
– Apply lotions or gels, with ingredients such as menthol or camphor, for the relief of muscle pain. That will help to reduce pain temporarily.
– Your doctor may prescribe stronger medication than the medication.
– A physical therapist can teach you cervical exercises to practice at home or when traveling. This will reduce the pain and strengthen the neck muscles.
-The transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) can place electrodes near to the painful areas, transmitting electrical impulses to reduce pain.
– Drug injections, such as corticosteroids, near the nerves or joints of the neck, or local anesthetics, such as lidocaine, can calm the pain.
– The immobilization with a soft neck collar, for a short time, can help to eliminate cervical pressure and relieve pain.
Visit your doctor for a better diagnosis of your case.